All our practitioners have legal qualifications, including Solicitor, and Chartered Legal Executive. Every matter is allocated to one of our dedicated practitioners who will handle your matter from start to finish. We set out below our pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal. Please see our Employment webpage for staff bio information. Oliver Brabbins has overall supervision of the team.
|Fee excluding VAT||VAT (20%)||Fee Including VAT (20%)|
|1 day case||Up to £10,000||£2,000||£12,000|
|2 day case||Up to £17,500||£3,500||£21,000|
|3 day case||Up to £25,000||£5,000||£30,000|
Any claims in excess of 3 day hearings, the fees in excess of £25,000 will be agreed with you.
There are a number of factors that could make a case more complex. We set out below a non-exhaustive list of the factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim;
- If it is necessary to make additional applications throughout the proceedings (e.g. for specific disclosure);
- Making or defending costs application;
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person;
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties);
- The number of witnesses required to give evidence;
- The amount of documentation;
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if the claim is for dismissal following blowing the whistle; and
- Allegations of discrimination.
The costs set out above include a charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing. Days include any days listed for Preliminary Hearings.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as medical expert fees. We require disbursement costs to be paid on account before they are incurred and the fee earner dealing with your matter will be able to advise you on these.
We generally instruct Counsel to prepare and attend Trial. Counsel’s fees are estimated between £2,000 to £5,000 per day including preparation (depending on the experience of the advocate) plus expenses and VAT at 20%.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
• Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change);
• Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
• Preparing claim or response;
• Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party;
• Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process;
• Preparing or considering a schedule of loss;
• Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing;
• Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents;
• Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses;
• Preparing bundle of documents;
• Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements;
• Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list;
• Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel.
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee may be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 2 to 12 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, a case listed for 1 day is likely to take 4 to 6 months, 3 day cases may well be in excess of 12 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
To find out how Steeles Law Employment team can support you and your business, please do not hesitate to call 01603 598000 or email email@example.com. Appointments are available at our Diss, Norwich and London offices or at your offices by appointment.